Mary’s Cards: Inspiring Hope
In a poem that she left for her family, Mary Barnett asked that her legacy live on through acts of kindness. Will you help us honor this request by making cards of inspiration, encouragement, and hope?
One of BSNCF’s most successful outreach projects has been delivering Smile Kits to female patients battling cancer funded by donations. These Smile Kits include soothing comfort items along with handmade cards of encouragement intended to make the patient smile.
Living with cancer and enduring treatment are tough on the patient. Loved ones fight their own battles. There are ups and downs. There are good days and bad days. What makes a difference in these difficult times is an unexpected act of kindness that brings a smile to the patient’s face. Heartfelt expressions of gratitude can help cancer patients feel loved and can uplift their spirits.
We are seeking individuals, groups, and do-gooders to create cards for those battling cancer which will be included in Smile Kits for female cancer patients. This is a wonderful project for a school, classroom, scout troop or service organization, or family.
Instructions to create cards:
Gather your supplies! You can design a card using simply crayons and paper, or you may choose to use card stock, stickers, stamps, and other embellishments. It’s entirely up to you! In your card, select cheerful phrases like: “Sending smiles across the miles,” “Your smile makes me smile,” and “Let your smile change the world.” Include butterflies, smiley faces, and other symbols of happiness.
Send your cards in one package to:
Envelopes are optional but if you choose to include them, please leave them unsealed. Include your email and contact information so that we can keep in touch and let you know where your letters and/or cards were sent.
Send photos of you writing your letters to email@example.com, post them on Facebook and Instagram, and tag us! If you’d like to make an additional donation to help fund our mission, you can do that here. Your gift is tax deductible as BSNCF is a 501(c)3.
Instructions to receive service hours for school:
Please take a photo of you creating cards or of just your card and post on social media. Tag and like our Facebook and Instagram pages and use #sendingsmiles. Drop your completed cards in the mail. Then, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need a staffer to approve your volunteer service hours!
There are other a variety of other ways that you can volunteer for BSNCF and receive volunteer service hours. Consider participating in the BSNCF Virtual Run/Walk, hold a COVID-19 safe recycled shoe drive, or start a BSNCF fundraising campaign for your birthday or “just because.”
Are you part of a group or club? We’d love to feature your school or community organization! Send us photos and the name of your group to be added to “Students Making Smiles.”
Thank you to our school and community groups currently supporting BSNCF’s projects! Let’s add your group to this list!
- Andover Against Cancer, Andover High School, MA
- Bio-Med Society, Middlewood High School, New York
- Canandaigua Academy, New York
- Coppermine Lacrosse Club, Baltimore, Maryland
- Connect4Cancer, Santa Ana High School, California
- Delta Zeta, Clemson, South Carolina
- Lamar High School, South Carolina
- Loudoun County High School FBLA and Interact, Leesburg, Virginia
- Girl Scout Troop 571, Herndon, Virginia
- Girls On Top of the World, Salisbury State University, Maryland
- Independence High School, San Jose, California
- November Project Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Maury High School National Honor Society, Norfolk, Virginia
- Milwalkee School Of Engineering, Lambda Zeta Nu, Wisconsin
- NSU High School, Plantation, Florida
- Physical Therapy Club, Old Dominion University, Virginia
- Riverside High School FBLA and Interact, Leesburg, Virginia
- Sending Smiles, Notre Dame Prep, Maryland
- St. Michael’s School, Loretto, Pennsylvania
- St John’s School, Houston, Texas
- Vietnamese Student Association, Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Virginia Tech, Blacksburg, Virginia
- Waynesburg University, Pennsylvania
- Woman Organization for Minorities Achieving Now, Penn Brooke, NC